Tuesday, January 26, 2010

1/26

Talked to my mom this weekend and she is going to write her article for the Greenville News about the Bridesmaid's Ball and put pictures from the event in TALK magazine. I talked to Linda via email and she seemed excited to have the publicity.

In class today we discussed the interesting distinction between being "homeless" and "houseless". It is funny to think that two words which mean something so similar on the surface can be so different in the eyes of those who use them. If I were to be without a home, I think I would prefer to be houseless rather than homeless. The word homeless has so much baggage attached that to be homeless implies being lazy, alcoholic, violent, and a dozen other stereotypes. I also thought it was interesting to consider the attitude of some "homeless" as just "killin time". When I look at most of our lives in the class, I feel like we are all motivated by goals that we hope to achieve in the future. We do well in school to go to college to get a good job to raise a family to retire to die rich. It seems pretty lame when you put it into a single (possibly run-on) sentence, but at least it gives us something to work towards. The author talked about how when you have no money and no connections those goals can get lost and it leads to a very simple and unmotivated existence.

The more I learn about the condition of being homeless, the more I am beginning to see how so many people fall into the cycle of homelessness and never escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment