Thursday, January 21, 2010

1/21

This post will be a summary of the two classes from this week. First, thoughts from Tuesdays class. Mike and Linda came and addressed a lot of the issues that we have been wondering about. I was really impressed by Mike's sincerity. Helping out the homeless doesn't exactly lend itself to self glorification, but Mike's humble desire to help those around him struck a chord with me. He challenged us as a class and as a generation to be the change that his generation had failed to be. It is a challenge that I believe we welcome as a class and I look forward to using our skills for the good of something so real and tangible. I cannot help but realize how blessed I am to be in this class, doing real, hands-on service. For three years I have had to write mindless lit. reviews about things I cared nothing about. The opportunity to apply what I've learned for the good of others is truly a blessing.
Now, on to class today. Whenever we address an issue of homelessness, it seems there might be an easy solution. Then, after a few moments of ignorant bliss, reality sets in as we start to realize that each issue is actually a complex set of circumstances that can't just magically be "solved". One of my tendencies is to see a problem and try to "fix" it. This makes things a little tricky when homelessness is the problem I so desperately want to fix. I've caught myself in class getting overwhelmed with how big of a problem we are up against. Even if all of us in the class dedicated our whole lives to the cause of homelessness, we would not likely see a solution in our lifetimes. The thing that gives me hope is my belief that God is in the mix. We don't see a solution to the problem, but He does. I believe with all my heart that God is bigger than the problem of homelessness. Habakkuk 1:5 says " 5 "Look at the nations and watch—and be utterly amazed. For I am going to do something in your days that you would not believe, even if you were told." As long as I cling to that, there will always be hope. As such, I think that our responsibility as a class is to do all we can to fight for justice and trust that he will provide in ways we can't yet imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment